Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Going home

I was planning to go back home to visit family in July for a wedding open house, but looks like I'll be returning home much sooner for a memorial service instead.

The open house was canceled, and last night I found out my aunt died on Sunday. I was about an hour and a half away from the city, and on the drive back, I basically cried the whole way home.

I keep thinking about how much influence my aunt had on my life and career. She first introduced me to editing, design and fonts -- and this was before computers and Quark XPress. Years ago, my aunt and uncle owned a small magazine, and I stayed with them one summer, working at their office.

I remember sharing with her the joys of brownies, shopping 'til we dropped, and learning to crochet. Then there were the family camping trips to my aunt and uncle's lake property in Wisconsin, and spending weekends at her house, which was always a major treat.

And I blame her for my Coke addiction. (Man, was she relieved when Coca-Cola came out with Coke Classic after its new Coke fiasco.)

She called me her "favorite niece" -- granted, I was her only niece -- and she was my favorite aunt.

I can't believe she's gone.

I feel so bad for my cousin. As the only child of an only child, she doesn't have much family left. Since moving to San Francisco, I haven't kept in touch as much as I should have.

My parents said I didn't have to fly back for the service, but I want to go home -- I need to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:( I didn't know it was your aunt who got you interested in editing and design.

I'd want to go home for the service, too. Hope you can make the trip. Thinking of you, chingu.