Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Good to be home

My husband and I were back in the Midwest for almost a week, but now we're back home in San Francisco. At a family get-together, someone asked my husband if he considered San Francisco or the Midwest his home. I thought about the answer to that myself and realized San Francisco is now home after three years (I also kept saying "soda" instead of "pop" when I was back in the Midwest). The Midwest is where our families live, but California is our home.

After being the only nonwhite person in many situations, it's sooooo nice to be home and not be surrounded by a sea of white people (not to mention religious freaks), people asking where I was from and knowing they probably weren't satisfied when I replied with "San Francisco." I guess my mother-in-law had mentioned our upcoming travel plans to guests, so when they heard we were going to Korea, you could almost see the lightbulbs going off -- "Ah ha!"

This morning I saw the following article on SFGate.com and couldn't help but smile ...

"California: Hispanics expected to be state's majority by 2042; Alameda County to have top proportion of Asian Americans"

No comments: