Wednesday, January 02, 2008

'Nanking' film

"Nanking" is a new documentary that tells the story of the rape of Nanking by Japanese soldiers in the early days of World War II.

Check out the film's Web site.

Having read Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking and John Rabe's memoir, The Good Man of Nanking, I want to know when the film is going to be in a theater near me? When? When?!

Updated 1/4/08:

I forgot I had read this article on China marking the 70th anniversary of the fall of Nanking to the Japanese on December 13, 1937, and the rape of Nanking.

"China remembers Nanjing"

Updated 1/10/08:

I've found out that "Nanking" will be showing at the Lumiere Theatre (1572 California Street at Polk) for one week only, starting Friday, January 11.

Also, I recently discovered this documentary based on Iris Chang's point of view: "Iris Chang: The Rape of Nanking"

The co-directors Anne Pick and Bill Spahic "obtained the support and exclusive co-operation of Iris's parents, Ying-Ying and Shau-Jin Chang," according to the film's Web site.

I'm glad to see that this documentary focuses on Chang's experiences in researching and writing about the rape of Nanking.

The Web site also states that the documentary's broadcast premiere was on History Television, which I believe is a Canadian network, in December. The documentary is being shown in other cities in Canada, but I'm trying to find out if it will be shown in the U.S., if not on television then perhaps it will be shown at a SF film festival.

Updated 1/11/08:

Here's the SF Gate review of "Nanking": "Review: Nanking survivors' stories of atrocities lend power to film"

No comments: