Friday, July 01, 2005

I need a copy editor

Geesh, just reread my last post. I need a copy editor for my blog. Feel free to e-mail me corrections.*

I found this post on compound-modifier hyphens by Bill Walsh:


My point is that compound-modifier hyphens, or the lack thereof, affect the way phrases are pronounced as well as the way they're read by those of us who can do so without moving our lips.


And here's another post by Walsh on using multiple hyphens.

I'm such an amateur copy editor. I'm not worthy.

Gotta love Reuters ...

On the 29th, Reuters ran an article titled, "Study shows radiation causes cancer but rarely," which stated the following:


A low dose of about 100 millisieverts of radiation -- the equivalent of 10 chest x-rays -- can be expected to cause cancer in one out of every 100 people, the report finds.


The next day Reuters ran a correction, or should I say a corretion?


CORRETION: Study shows radiation may cause cancer

Last Updated: 2005-06-30 15:15:23 -0400 (Reuters Health)

[In June 29 WASHINGTON story headlined "Study shows radiation causes cancer but rarely" please read in fourth paragraph "... the equivalent of 1,000 chest X-rays ..." instead of "... the equivalent of 10 chest X-rays ..." A corrected story follows]


First of all, it's bad enough to confuse 10 chest X-rays with 1,000 X-rays, but to post your correction with "CORRETION" is just too much.


*I may or may not make your suggested corrections. Gimme a break! I didn't say I was a good copy editor. I'm only human, and usually sleep-deprived. I do not guarantee that this blog is free of punctuation, spelling, grammar and usage errors. Check out my links for other blogs and reference sites.

No comments: