Monday, July 25, 2005

San Francisco: A love/hate relationship

Love: "Where are you from?" means "What city/state did you move here from?" and not "What race/ethnicity are you?"
Hate: Non-Asian guys with Asian fetishes (Not that this is anything new, but the guys here sort of freak me out sometimes. They can tell I'm Korean and say hello in Korean.)

Love: Walking in the city and not being the only Asian amidst a sea of white people
Hate: The vast number of skinny, "pocket-size" (as my friend Ji-in likes to say) Asian women

Love: Walking down my block to eat Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean food ... and sushi ... and dim sum ... and ...
Hate: Walking down the street and having dust and dirt blown onto my contacts (Ouch!)

Love: Warm, sunny days at Ocean Beach
Hate: Warm, sunny days turning cold and damp as the fog rolls in over the city

Love: Victorian houses with bay windows
Hate: Rental and real estate prices

Love: Finding a new, trustworthy car repair shop run by Asians who aren't going to rip me off
Hate: Having to find a new doctor, dentist and optometrist

Love: Lying in the sun on green grass during January
Hate: The lack of green lawns and huge backyards

Love: Not having to deal with -30° windchill
Hate: Missing the vibrant fall leaves of the Midwest

Love: Funky little neighborhood boutiques and gift shops
Hate: Lack of shopping malls (Gimme a break! I grew up in the Midwest, home of the first enclosed shopping mall. Malls here also have parking lots that are horribly laid out.)

Love: Working somewhere where I can IM and am not the only minority
Hate: Driving 20 minutes to travel 3 miles to work (I know! I should stop using a gas-guzzling, polluting automobile, but I love to drive and can't stand the hour commute by bus.)

Love: Yelling at stupid, inconsiderate drivers who run over bicyclists
Hate: Drivers who don't signal and don't stop at stop signs, as well as impatient drivers (Buddy, if I could move, I would!)

Love: Meeting new people
Hate: Meeting new people

Love: My new (well, not so new now) co-worker who loves watching television, shopping and celebrity gossip as much as I do
Hate: Missing my best friend who loves watching television, shopping and celebrity gossip as much as I do

Love: Being 2,036.5 miles away from my family
Hate: Being 2,000 miles away from my friends back home

Other hates: Public transportation and the lack of parking

Other loves: Watching a major league baseball game in an open-air stadium, the dahlia and rose gardens in Golden Gate Park, Escape From New York pizza, Brothers wood charcoal Korean barbecue restaurant, bougainvillea, palm trees on city blocks

1 comment:

Mrs. Chicken said...

Love: Visiting H in San Francisco, and dining on delicious dim sum, crab, Korean barbecue and affordable sushi (despite feeling like a giantess amid a sea of pocket Asians)

Hate: Having to visit H in San Francisco, rather than seeing her every day and running out to grab lunch up the street