The following two lines were above the product name:
Provides dentist
recommended benefits
I had to reread that statement. I thought to myself, "What dentist?"
The lack of hyphen, along with the line break, confused me for a second. The statement should have a hyphen: "Provides dentist-recommended benefits."
I suppose the folks at Proctor & Gamble thought it might be odd to have a hyphen dangling after "dentist" and didn't include it. (Maybe they used all their cleverness in deciding to add the bullet in the product name.)
Well, it probably won't matter for most consumers -- only those anal about both punctuation and oral hygiene.
Addition: Oops, I really need a blog editor, too. Oh well, I already have a disclaimer (see footer).
Addition (August 15, 11:39 a.m.): On further inspection of the product label the other night, I found another case for The Hyphenator! Underneath the product name, the label read "Alcohol Free." I wish alcohol were free.

No comments:
Post a Comment