The 2006 World Cup started today in Germany. It hit me this morning that almost four years ago, for the 2002 World Cup, I was in Korea.
In Seoul, I remember seeing pictures of Korean footballer Ahn Jung-Hwan plastered all over. (Here is his official site and more info.)
World Cub souvenirs were everywhere, and I eventually bought an official soccer ball to bring back home. Getting caught up in the Ahn craze, I also bought a red t-shirt with his image on it. (I should dig that out.)
One afternoon I found myself sitting outside one of the World Cup stadiums, seeing before me a sea of red -- all the Koreans dressed in their "Be the Reds!" t-shirts in support of the Korean team, trying to catch a glimpse of a match on the large screen off in the distance.
I remember wearing my own "Be the Reds!" t-shirt and just sitting among the throng of fans, amazed at the frenzy but glad that I was in Korea experiencing this period of immense national pride -- and, probably most of all, thoroughly enjoying the fact that I was no longer a minority in a crowd of people.
Friday, June 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment